Send your 2019 Ken Owen Award Nomination now to Doug: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Ken Owen Award is presented annually to the Team ORCA member voted “most inspirational” by their teammates.
The award was created by Mike Bourcier and Michele Levesque to commemorate Ken Owen (pictured to the right), a long-time member of Team ORCA who passed away in 2005. Ken was a great friend to Team ORCA, and loved running, triathlons, and the camaraderie of his running friends.
The recipient of this award is chosen for his or her “INSPIRATION” to other members of ORCA. The criteria for the award is that it is to be given to the person who, through his/her dedication, tenacity, comeback, etc. has been an inspiration to us all.
Send your 2019 nomination now to Doug: email@example.com
Donated by Rhys Harrison, the aim of this award is to encourage members to enter races and especially to support our local Vancouver Island Series.
Any publicly advertised road or trail running races would count but not track, triathlon, or multi-sport adventure races. Any location including outside Canada is eligible.
Adult male or female members of good standing over the full year can apply. Speed is of no consequence, so anyone can win.
ORCA 2019 AGM
Date: Saturday, October 19th
Time: After the Saturday run
Place: 625 Rye Rd, Qualicum Beach (Doug Marshall’s house)
Included on the Agenda:
- Racer of the Year (Rhys Harrison Cup) – Send your nominations now to Doug Marshall
- Ken Owen Award – Send your nominations now to Doug Marshall
- Member’s vote on shifting the Saturday run time from 8:00am to 8:30am for the fall and winter, in consideration of the darker, wetter months
- Nominations for directors – There will be 4 vacancies on the board to fill for 2020. Two members have kindly stepped forward to fill two of the four spots but two to three more directors are needed in order to keep the club vibrant and alive. Express your interest to Doug Marshall.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The last race of the 2019 island race series was held on Sunday, April 14th at Bazan Bay 5k in Sydney.
- Jill Davies and Terry Riggins were there to represent Orca and both won their age groups
- Jill Davies: first in 75-79 with a time of 30:33
- Terry Riggins: first in 70- 74 with a time of 22:41
Jill completed 6 of the 8 race series and was first in her agegroup for all of them. She was the highest in individual standings to win the $100 Front Runners certificate. Jill also managed to achieve two course records for the Sooke 10k and the Port Alberni Paperchase 15k.
Well done Jill!!!